Friday 11 September 2009

Life's a sprint not a marathon

Top sports psychologist Jim Loehr says that to be a peak performer in any area, you have to find ways to renew your energy - physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

Our body's energy systems work best when we turn them on - and then turn them off again.

The metaphor Loehr used was this: Life is not a marathon - it is a series of sprints.

This is the principle of oscillation - intense energy expenditure followed by gentle energy recovery. This is directly in accord with the principles of Hormesis.

This appeared in the Daily Mail, by Paul-McKenna:-

Once I understood the importance of incorporating recovery time into my schedule, I began to spend more of my time just relaxing.

On holiday, I would lie on the beach and feel the warmth of the sun, imagining each muscle relaxing from the top of my head all the way down to the tips of my toes.

Then, when I had returned home, I would imagine myself sunbathing on that beach.

As the nervous system does not differentiate between a real and a vividly imagined event, each time I took myself through that experience, my nervous system felt as though I was still on holiday.

Read more: Daily Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment